Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Reading Notes: Saints and Animals Part B

For Part B of the Saints and Animals unit, I'm going to keep focusing on beautiful sentences (like I did at the end of my notes for Part B).

The first story for today was about Saint Gudwall. Early in the reading, the author powerfully sets a scene in Wales: "The island was one of those high mountains poking up out of the sea, with green grass on top, like colored frosting to a cake; and gray rocks below, all hollowed out into deep caves and crannies, as if mice had been nibbling at the cake." I was gripped by this description. The metaphorical language of the description was striking and made me want to visit Wales!

The next story in the unit involved Saint Ailbe. My favorite sentence in this reading was a piece of dialogue. Saint Ailbe says to his wolf-mother, "'When I was little and young and feeble, thou didst nourish and cherish and protect me; and now that thou art old and gray and weak, shall I not render the same love and care to thee? None shall injure thee.'" This line is not notable for any brilliant imagery, but rather for its emotional power in context of the larger story. Saint Ailbe is now wise, wealthy, and loved by humans, and he vows to take care of this wolf who once took care of him.

The next reading was a ballad about Saint Athracta. The ending lines of poetry were impactful during my reading:

"Her realm a holy place of peace,
Where, with the ancient nags,
Lived out their days in pleasant ways
Athracta's faithful Stags."

I found the poetry here rich with strong adjectives. These lines wrapped up the ballad nicely.

I enjoyed the next ballad I read, which was about Saint Felix, yet no lines in particular jumped out at me. The next reading was another ballad, this one about Saint Giles. In this reading, I found the following stanza memorable:

"But on a dewy springtime morn
When April climbed the hill,
There came the wind of silver horn,
Halloos and whistles shrill"

Much like the last ballad I commented on, these lines had strong adjectives and lively language.

Finally, I read about Saint Francis of Assisi. Near the end of the Saint's life, the author paints this picture of an aging Francis: "For he was worn with wandering; he was ill and weak, and his gentle eyes were growing dim so that he could not go along the winding ways. But he was happy still." I was struck by the power in the description of a man who had lived a long, hard life yet still found some measure happiness. It was truly a beautiful image.

 A depiction of Saint Francis and the wolf from Saint Francis of 
 Assisi Church in San Francisco del Rincón, Guanajuato State, Mexico. 
 Source: Wikimedia


BIBLIOGRAPHY: All stories from the Saints and Animals unit in the UN-Textbook. Story source: The Book of Saints and Friendly Beasts by Abbie Farwell Brown (1900).

No comments:

Post a Comment