Friday, November 29, 2019

Reading Notes: Inferno, Part A

Reading Notes for Week 15!

Bibliography: Notes are on the Dante's Inferno unit. Story source: Dante's Divine Comedy, translated by Tony Kline (2002).

Last week of reading notes, hard to believe! I'm going to focus on beautiful/strong sentences again this week.

Kline's translation of the famous beginning of Inferno starts like this: "In the middle of the journey of our life, I came to myself, in a dark wood, where the direct way was lost. It is a hard thing to speak of, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood was, so that thinking of it recreates the fear."

The idea of life being a journey is powerful. Dante finds himself in a "dark wood" without a clear direction of where to go. This resonates with me on a metaphorical level. The descriptive words in the second sentence ("wild, harsh, and impenetrable") give readers an idea of this intense setting. This is one of the most famous introductions to a tale in European literary history, and it's easy to see why with this powerful language and gripping imagery!

Another notable sentence also appears in "Canto 1: Dante and Virgil." Dante writes, "Then the fear that had settled in the lake of my heart through the night that I had spent so miserably became a little calmer."

Again, the imagery here is beautiful. This description of how fear feels to Dante is both relatable and captivating. This sentence helps readers sympathize with the protagonist even before he begins his journey through hell.

One additional standout sentence occurred in "Canto 3: The Gate of Hell," where Dante is now with his guide, Virgil: "And placing his hand on mine, with a calm expression that comforted me, he led me towards the hidden things."

Dante is understandably afraid of this hell, and Virgil proves to be a reassuring presence. Inferno is full of moving sentences that I hope to emulate in my own fiction! I have really enjoyed this week's readingsso far and am excited for part B.


Gustave Doré's illustration to Dante's Inferno. Plate VIII: Canto III.
Originally from 1857. Source: Wikimedia

No comments:

Post a Comment