Friday, August 16, 2019

Storybook Favorites

For this post, I've been looking at some of the example storybooks from past students and reading through them! It's been fun to take in different narratives. One that I really liked was a creative retelling of the Peter Pan and Captain Hook story. I enjoyed the ideas behind the author's work and the amount of thought put into it. I've always been a fan of Peter Pan as a character. The introduction served as a good launching pad and helped readers enter into an "interview" scenario with Captain Hook. I enjoyed the author's use of multiple interesting images on the pages and the simple navigation of the storybook.

The Adventures of Merlin was another fantastic storybook to examine. I admired the simple yet elegant use of one beautiful image at the top of each page. Navigating through the storybook was easy, and I enjoyed the descriptive author's notes on the bottom of most of the pages. I have some familiarity with Merlin, and this storybook skilfully uses Merlin as a character. I definitely might use a layout similar to this storybook! It stylistically fits what I typically prefer.

A final storybook that I was impressed with and found interesting was The Nutcracker. The layout kind of reminded me of the Merlin storybook: clean and aesthetically pleasing. The colors were gentle and inviting. The adventure that the protagonist "Mina" goes on is fun and gripping. I found this narrative very readable and accessible even though I have never seen a performance of The Nutcracker. I really enjoyed the ending of this one!

All three storybooks were enjoyable for different reasons! I'm excited to begin crafting my own after getting some cool ideas from looking through these. A solid amount of thought was clearly put into creating all of the storybooks I went through.

This work of art is titled The Dutch Proverbs by Pieter Bruegel the Elder. (I love this painting of multiple proverbial legends and may loosely base my storybook around it!) Source: Wikimedia





No comments:

Post a Comment